Monday 20 January 2014

New Year, New Attitudes, Old friends.

It’s almost exactly a month since I last blogged, and so much has happened in this time! The most obvious, of course, is Christmas and New Year. I celebrated Christmas with my family: parents, grandparents, aunt and her husband, and saw in 2014 with Chris’s family. It has been wonderful to be back in my homeland (nothing like a bit of exaggeration!) for some time, visiting friends and family that I haven’t seen in a while!
As it’s 20 days into January already, I feel it is about time I posted a New Year Resolution post. If you read my blog last year, you may remember me mentioning that I don’t often make resolutions but after keeping the basic rules I set myself ‘I have decided to stay on track with everything I am doing and just keep working hard at everything. My aims this year are to keep trying to get 2:1’s in everything, and to get some work experience’, I wanted to carry these rules into 2014. This is especially true as it is my final year at university and I do desperately want to do well! Beyond this, I have decided to set one crucial resolution. Last year, I lost one of my secondary school friends and it made me realise how rarely I keep in contact with my old school friends.This is what happens when people go off to different universities and others carry on with other careers – people drift apart. It’s the inevitable. 2013’s tragic event made me realise that I can’t let this happen anymore, and I want to treasure my friends and let them all know how much they are appreciated (phew, this is getting emotional…)
This leads me to the important resolution: to stay in contact with my friends and to keep better contact from here on. I want to feel involved with people and I want to let people into my own life. As Garrison Keillor once said, ‘Be well, do good work, and keep in touch’, a quote I feel I can relate to and will live by from now on.
Have any of you made any New Year’s resolutions this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment