Sunday 17 January 2016

“NOT I – NOT ANYONE else, can travel that road for you, You must travel it for yourself.” – Walt Whitman

On Wednesday, the greatest thing possible happened. I finally passed my driving test! It feels like I have been learning for an insane length of time, but I know of people that took far longer than that. 

It's been a really stressful process, not least because I've been a confident driver for quite a few months now. I've always struggled with test conditions, both in my academic studies, and this reflected into my driving tests. I think it's the silent conditions, as they make me question myself far more than I need to. In fact, I'm not sure how I passed this time; it may have been the point at which my instructor said "You drive differently on your test day" - a fact I was very much aware of but nobody had pointed it out before. He said "you wouldn't be here if you couldn't do it, so just remember you can". And I did. 



The next step is to get myself hooked up with some insurance, so I can actually put my shiny new pink licence into action! I think it's going to involve a few months of saving more money up than I do (and if you've been following my posts in the past, you'll be aware that I'm normally pretty good at scrimping!), particularly as it will cost round about £2000 to get insured as a named driver on my parents' car! I dread to think how much it would cost if I had passed at 17!

It'll be worth it though, and I need to get it sorted as soon as possible, because after 5 days I'm already itching to get back behind the wheel! 



No comments:

Post a Comment