Saturday 14 March 2015

Seize the day

Blog posts on here seem to have been distinctly noticeable by their absence in recent months. This is a trend which started back in 2014 when university studies took over, rather than just living the student 'high life' that many seem to view it as. Settling down into a full-time office job seems to have just placed further strain on blogging, which I didn't want it to do but after spending 7 hours in front of a computer screen, the last thing I want to do when I get home is start writing posts (on a computer!)

I don't want to give up blogging (even though it may appear otherwise) and I've recently treated myself to a tablet so I hope that I will be able to starting writing on my commute to and from work, which will be good.

As a general update, I've been really busy of late doing lots of Girlguiding related things. If you've been following this blog for a while, you'll know I volunteer as a Brownie Leader*. This is something I have been doing for six years, although I have been involved with the organisation as a young member since the age of seven. There are so many things you can do before the age of 26, and now university is over and I've reached the ripe old age of 22 (I didn't blog about my birthday for the first time in ages, whoops!) I thought I would take a shot at doing some of the activities available to The Senior Section before my time has come and gone. 

So, I've registered to do my Queen's Guide Award and the Gold Duke of Edinburgh award. The Queen's Guide Award is estimated to take approximately 3 years (it must new completed in 3 years or it doesn't count!) and although the DofE doesn't have a timeframe as such, it has to be completed before the applicant's 25 birthday. 
In theory, there is quite a lot of overlap between the two projects so this should make it a bit easier, but it's still no walk in the park! I am aiming to write a blog post each time I complete something, so when I find a way of collating them altogether (I don't want to start a whole new blog if I can help it - I can hardly keep on top of this one!) I'll add a link for anyone who is interested to be able to follow my progress. 

On top of this, I have been working on the 'Going Away With...' scheme which is the qualification needed to take young members on a residential. There are section specific modules which are only valid to take a specic age group away, so I am currently working to run a weekend 'holiday' the Brownies away this summer. 

So as you can see, I've become a bit of a busy bee lately  but I have no doubt in my mind that it will all be worth it in the end, and I would hate to regret not doing these things when it's too late!








*I now help run a Rainbow group as well, but I haven't had enough time to become familiar with the programme so I feel like I'm cheating a bit to say I'm a Rainbow Leader yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment