Sunday 3 May 2015

Heights on impulse

With us both working so much lately, Chris and I only really get to see each other on Saturdays now. Much as it pains me that this is the situation, it does mean that we have an incentive to ensure we really make the most of our days together.

This Saturday afternoon, once I had finished volunteering, we headed up to Westfield shopping centre in Stratford. The initial idea was that we would see Jurassic World at the cinema, as it came out on 11 May but, unfortunately, we had got our dates muddled up and it's actually not out until June. There was little else we wanted to see so we thought we would go for a wander anyway, and see what was going on in what has become a bit of a tourist destination of late. 

Needless to say, we had managed to choose a day which actually didn't have very much going on! It was warm, so we found ourselves in a nice little pub called The Cow and had some London Lager which was rather nice. 

One thing we had never done before was go up the Mitteral Orbit so we took the plunge and took a trip up that. If you've never heard of it, the orbit was built as a sculpture in time for the Olympics in 2012. When it was first built, I was very critical of it as it seemed unnecessary, ugly, and lacking a real story. But as I go past it on my commute every day, it's gradually grown on me. 




The Orbit is sold as a fantastic platform from which to view London, and I will, admit the distance we could see was brilliant. It wasn't as far as we had been led to believe, although it was exciting to see the different levels of the London skyline.


I do feel as though one of the reasons I wasn't overly excited by the distance was that the office I work in has 27 floors, and the sights from up there are equally great. 

We (well, I) thought that there was a bar at the top, which would have been brilliant but as it turned out, what I had seen was adverts for the cafe at the bottom. It looks lovely, don't get me wrong, but it's not exactly champagne in the clouds - I think the next trip will have to be The Shard if we want that!





No comments:

Post a Comment